Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

M4: Problem with Shares in Subfolders

edited January 2012 in DrivePool

Hi There

I am having a few problems with M4.  I did a clean installation and created the following folders:

Movies
TV
Music

Within each of the above folders are subfolders that contain video/music content.  For example, Movies\Rocky or Movies\Rambo

I copied all of my collection over to each of the 3 folders, created my user accounts in dashboard and gave each use read/write access.  However, for some reason not all the subfolders within each of the main folders have the proper access.  Some of the subfolders have an image of a padlock on t hem meaning that the user accounts I created can not get access to these sub folders.  I am constantly having to manually go into the pool, locate the subfolders that have the problems and manually add the user accounts I created in the dashboard into each subfolder.

Is there anyway to sort this out?  It becomes a problem when you have a tv collection, with tv series, with subfolders in that tv series for each season.  I am having to go in manually and check each tv series and each tv season to make sure that they are not locked and setup share permissions.

I have tried resetting the shares.  Tried resetting the read/write access via dashboard but everytime I do that the same thing happens and I have to go back in and manually setup share permissions.

Is anyone else having this problem?  Is there a simple fix for it?

Comments

• I'm having the same problem, but with an upgrade from M3 to M4. My computer blue screened during the migration, and none of the shares were setup properly. I went through the process of removing the old shares and sharing from the pool, but some of the subfolders are having permissions problems. I can read, but not write to folders I should have full access to.

Kind of annoying, but not critical - I haven't lost any data, so I'm just working through it for now.
  • Yes, I have the same problem.  It's not only subfolders, but certain files as well.  I think some of them were the ones that were shared in uTorrent (maybe they were in use?), and the others I have no idea.  It's really annoying thus far...
  • Here's what I did to fix the permission problems on my file/folders inside the shares: remove then enable inherited ACEs (access control entries).
    1. cd D:\ServerFolders\Movies
    2. Icacls *.* /inheritance:r /t
    3. Icacls *.* /inheritance:e /t
    Do that for each of your shares.