Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Hardware Used with DP

edited July 2012 in DrivePool
Hey All,

Just curious to see what everyone is using as a JBOD controller with DrivePool. I'm currently using a Startech PEXSAT34 and get around 75MBs copying from and to the network drive from Windows 7 with 4 x 3TB Seagate drives in the pool. Not sure how well this card is and I'm considering getting an LSI 9211-8i or a HighPoint RocketRAID 2720 SGL to replace it. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• I just use the standard SATA ports on my motherboard. It's got 6 of them and all are in use. I get about 65 MB/s write speed to the pool. And about 75 MB/s read speed.
  • Resident Guru
    Four SATA ports on the motherboard, plus three "generic" two-port SATA cards (thankfully PCI Express versions), all full. Performance... just tolerable. :p

For whatever it's worth, I often read good things about SuperMicro's AOC range of eight-port cards (two physical sockets supporting up to eight drives via a pair of 1xSFF8087 to 4xSATA squid cables), but as I'm apparently in the wrong country to get my hands on them at any sane price unfortunately I can't back up the hearsay with any personal anecdotes. http://www.supermicro.com/products/nfo/storage_cards.cfm if you want to check the specs.
    I appreciate it Shane. I'm currently using a LianLi PC-Q25B computer case. I just realized that in order for me to stuff as many HDs into the case, i can't have a very long card. I will look into the Super Micro. Thanks!
  • I'm using three IBM ServeRAID M1015's cross flashed to LSI9211-8i's in IT mode in a Norco RPC-4224 for 24 glorious ports of storage goodness.

No problems except the lack of TLER, combined with some bad sectors causes MAJOR headaches with WHS and DrivePool in general. I plan on swapping my WD Green Drives with as many WD Red drives as I can afford, hopefully it fixes all my issues.
    Yikes. Good luck with the REDs. I'm currently using Seagate 3TBs 7200 drives right now. I have Scanner scheduled to do scans every 15 days. It's only been 2 weeks but hopefully I don't have any problems.