Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Balancer method to avoid folder splits

edited November 2012 in DrivePool
Would it be possible for someone to look at a new balancer method to minimise/avoid folder splits at a certain level of the folder hierarchy?

The rough idea would be to keep all files in a folder together on the same physical disk.  The use case is for DVD or Bluray VIDEO_TS or BMDV folders (particularly the latter) and their associated metadata.  Ideally the balancer would specify a directory level below which all files would be kept together, unless disk space runs out.  

For example, I have a directory structure ServerFolders > Videos > Movies > MovieName > BDMV for all my BluRays.  The balancer would manage to level 5 (the BMDV/VIDEO_TS level) and not split the files at 5 folder levels or greater over more than one disk.

Why?  Two problems, both related to Disk Spindown.  It's great to enable disk spindown to save power/heat/noise.  It's a good feature of Drivepool that we can do this and do not need all disks to spin up to stream a video, but there are problems when the directory is split over more than one disk:

1.  the stream can be interrupted when the VOB file changes at each Gb - the stream needs to pause while the next disk spins up.
2.  More than one disk needs to spinup, missing a small (tiny) power saving.

I'm not so bothered about 2, but the pause in streaming is a problem.

I know there is the possibility to create user-developed plugins, but I don't really have a lot of time to study how and think it would be a useful "standard" plugin.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• It's not necessarily a solution to your problem, but why don't you move your video_ts movies to ISO format? That way it'll be a single file and you won't have any of the other issues.
  • this also hapens to blu-ray folder structure directory's
    and when i add fanart to it they also get splitted up to another location.

• I totally agree. Such a balancer would be great. All files belonging in a folder staying on the same drive. Video file, metadata, folder art, nfo... Etc