Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Can I remove drive letters without messing up my pool?

edited February 2013 in DrivePool
Good afternoon!

This is one of those "I'd rather ask than risk a catastrophe" type questions.    

I have a pool of 20 drives.   Obviously this makes "My Computer" a bit messy.   There are a couple of drives that I have some "non-pooled" data.   I'd like to be able to remove the drive letters from all the drives except the couple that I access directly (and of course the P: "pool") drive.   I think it should be OK, but I just want to get a second opinion...  Can I remove the drive letters on pooled drives without effecting the pool?

(This is the WHS2011 version, not the new 2.0 beta)

Comments

• Yes, I don't have any of my 20 drives assigned to a drive letter except the pool drive. DP doesn't use the drive letter to access the drives, it has a more direct way to get to them.
  • I know that I can add drives to the pool without assigning a drive letter.   I guess I want to be sure that I can remove the drive letters once they've been added to the pool without confusing anything.
  • When I go to remove the drive letters I get a message noting the drive (X:) is currently in use - any issues there? Or is Windows just being polite...assuming I can ignore that message since nothing is accessing the drives by drive letter (just DP using them to duplicate/rebalance)
  • edited February 2013 Resident Guru
    DP does use the letter if it's there, but doesn't need the letter to access the drive; Windows can see the letter is being used by DP but doesn't know DP can work just fine without it.