Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

question about balancing SOLVED

edited January 2013 in DrivePool

SOLVED

I'm sure this has been covered but I couldn't find much info on it.  I recently installed a 3tb into my server.  I removed three 1tb drives leaving the new 3tb and three other 1tb drives.  all the data seemed to balance pretty evenly.  oh I do not use duplication at all.  Anyway I then added a second 3tb drive and removed one 1tb drive.  this leaves 2 3tb drives and 2 1tb drives (not counting os drive).  now the balancing is not even at all.

the 1st 3tb shows 64.8% full
both 1tb drives show 59.9%
the new 3tb shows only 38.2%

I tried to force a balance by checking "balance immediately" but it hasn't helped.  last night when I was messing with it I noticed it said pool condition was 50% and recommended duplication.  I accidently hit duplicate.  I could not find a way to stop it so I rebooted.

I then hit remeasure and went to bed.  I also changed the balancing back to "everyday at one am" hoping to would properly balance overnight.  today it shows pool condition at 100% but the balancing is the same as above.  Is there not a way to make all disc an even % of disc usage?

also since it started to duplicate and I stopped it are there now some duplicated files?  I don't see them listed anywhere, when I hover over the drives it says 0 duplicated but some show over a gig of "other data"

I did see on the site where it says only balances the pool when it is absolutely necessary. How does it determine when it's necessary? I just assumed it would evenly distribute the data. I just changed to whs2011 a little over a month ago and up until adding the 2nd 3tb everything was pretty even.

edit:  no idea what's going on with the formatting on here ;)  I can not get it right!

Comments

• edited January 2013 Member
    Hi,

which version of DrivePool you are using?

Have you tried / installed the DrivePool plugin "Disk Space Equalizer"? It has two options to equalize the disk space of all disks in the pool: "by the free space remaining" or "by the percent used"
    I'm using the plugin with the option to "equalize by percent used" - my four drives (3x 1,5 TB and 1x 2TB) nearly filled the same (between 44,6% and 44,8 %)

keks

DrivePool v1.2.4.7226 with Disk Space Equalizer 1.0.0.1
  • latest version.  thanks for the tip on the plugin!  I was just using what it came with.  trying now and will report back.
  • looks like that's all I needed!  thanks again!
  • What plug-in? Where do you get a plugin? I can't get my pools balanced.
  • edited January 2013 Resident Guru
    Balancing plug-ins can be downloaded at http://stablebit.com/DrivePool/Plugins

To configure plug-ins that are already installed, from the Dashboard go to StableBit DrivePool, Disks, scroll down if necessary and click Balancing.
  • Hi all,

How do you get the plug-in installed in Beta 2?

Thanks

Kurt

• Resident Guru
    Hi Kurt, the balancing plug-ins currently only work for DrivePool v1, updating them to work with v2 is in progress.
  • Oh...that's why it doesn't work. It seems that most of the commenting is related to v1, which throws me off a bit, as it doesn't fit.

One thing I noticed that was interesting in v2 was in the logs. The time stamps are expressed as GMT time, or in my case they are 5 hours ahead of my -5 CDT time. I'm guessing this is a bug. Is there a place to report such things for v2?

Kurt

• Resident Guru
    It might not be a bug (when you're tracking what a piece of code is doing over time, not having to worry about arbitrary "daylight saving" schemes - that differ from country to country - is a plus).

The contact form at http://stablebit.com/contact allows you to select which OS you are using (and thus whether DPv1 or DPv2).
  • Ahhh. Makes sense. Thanks for the insight. Do you have any idea on the progress and any sort of target dates for releases of DPv2.

I know the software indicates it does auto-updating. Have you found that it truly updates automatically, or just offers the update ?

Thanks

Kurt

• Resident Guru
    Sorry, I don't have any insider knowledge. :)

Re auto-updating, I haven't given v1 Stable enough attention to notice (since its pooling "just works"), and since I tend to install/uninstall the betas quite often they don't really get the chance. Maybe I should leave one running in a VM to see. :)
  • edited April 2013 Resident Guru
    Update (pun not intended): at least with v1, it doesn't auto-update (and this is intentional, so that if you're happy with the version you've got, you don't get any unhappy surprises).